The firm brings to bear a unique range of capabilities to assist corporate or individual clients facing actual or potential criminal charges or allegations of regulatory violations. The firm’s focus in these areas is on written and oral pre-charge or pretrial advocacy, complemented by considerable experience in conducting internal investigations, challenging adverse regulatory determinations, and assisting with development and implementation of compliance initiatives.
Examples of the firm’s successes in these high stakes criminal, investigative and regulatory matters include:
- Representation of a financial services company in successful resolution of parallel investigations by the Virginia State Corporation Commission and the Idaho Department of Finance
- Representation of a California manufacturing company in an internal investigation of alleged product defects, and successful resolution of a critical time-sensitive dispute between the manufacturer and its primary retail distributor
- Representation of a defense contractor in successfully defusing a potential FBI investigation and resolving allegations of improper disclosure of classified material
- Representation of an information technology company in an investigation concerning independent contractor’s illegal misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary technical data
- Via a pretrial motion to dismiss on statutory and constitutional grounds, obtained dismissal of an aggravated malicious wounding charge that carried a potential sentence of life imprisonment
- Acted as lead counsel for pawn shop owner facing up to 90 years in prison under a ten-count federal firearms indictment; negotiated plea agreement and persuaded District Court to grant substantial downward departure over prosecution objections, resulting in sentence of 90 days in jail
The process of facing criminal charges or adverse regulatory action can be overwhelming for individuals and businesses. The firm understands what is at stake, and takes particular pride in the zeal, creativity, and commitment that it brings to aggressive advocacy on behalf of clients targeted by the government.