The firm has achieved successful outcomes in a variety of criminal and civil appeals. Representative appellate matters include:
- Representation of a Mississippi defendant in a successful appeal of a capital murder conviction before the Mississippi Court of Appeals and the Mississippi Supreme Court
- Obtaining full or partial reversals in multiple separate cases on behalf of criminal defendants convicted of various felony charges, including firearms offenses, armed robbery, and obstruction of justice
- Leading role in drafting appellate briefs persuading Missouri Court of Appeals to affirm trial court decision setting aside sizable default judgment against Virginia limited liability company and its principal shareholders
- Representation of a medical association and social science professors in submission of amicus briefs in high-profile cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court
- Filing of a certiorari petition on a novel chain of custody issue in a criminal appeal at the United States Supreme Court
- Filing a tax appeal successfully challenging IRS’s attempt to impose substantial tax penalties and retroactively deny taxpayer the benefit of a previously approved deduction
In addition to acting as lead appellate counsel for clients who are prosecuting or defending an appeal, the firm’s highly competitive rates and openness to fixed-fee arrangements for appellate matters leave it uniquely well-positioned to assist other attorneys or non-parties whose interests are at stake in an appeal. The firm can act in a formally delegated role as co-counsel, or simply provide research and drafting support for attorneys who have been tasked with handling an appeal, and who desire assistance from attorneys with a successful track record in the appellate courts.